Dial-up Net Access

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been hunting down a 'backup' dial up net access, this site
Roscodial
is the fastest I have tested, downloads from MS running at 5.4 KB/sec, the best I had from BT was 4.7 KB/sec. (56k Modem)
Quote 'At Roscodial we will always provide enough bandwidth to allow all of our users to get online at any one time at the optimum speed of you equipment.'

This statement appears to be true, anyone have info on this company ?

BTW, Been using Norton AV since 2002 and Norton utilities since they began in the 'PC-Tools' era, no viral problems. My reply to allegations of 'Norton being rubbish' are in the plural .. and they bounce !! ... I use TDS-3 Free trial Here for Trojan and other protection, Just see that range of tools ! They have a forum here Woo Hoo !!

p

Sponsored Links
If i have my sums right that will give you an extra .3Mb an hour, which saves you about 3 minutes an hour waiting for downloads. If time is that precious get broadband:D

This might be farming country .. but we can count down 'ere !! ;)

4.7 / 5.4 = 0.87 therefore a one hour down-load with Bt, would take 52.2 mins on Roscodial, 7.8 mins difference.
Not talking broadband, more like BandWidth.
As a backup net access, might as well choose the quickest ? At the price of a local call. BT.does not always make 4.7 KB / sec can be lower at the busiest times.

P

You forgot to take away the 4.8 minutes that is required to make a cup of coffee, that is deducted from the waiting time. If youre busy youre not waiting:cool:

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Been hunting down a 'backup' dial up net access, this site
Roscodial
is the fastest I have tested, downloads from MS running at 5.4 KB/sec, the best I had from BT was 4.7 KB/sec. (56k Modem)
Quote 'At Roscodial we will always provide enough bandwidth to allow all of our users to get online at any one time at the optimum speed of you equipment.'

This statement appears to be true, anyone have info on this company ?

BTW, Been using Norton AV since 2002 and Norton utilities since they began in the 'PC-Tools' era, no viral problems. My reply to allegations of 'Norton being rubbish' are in the plural .. and they bounce !! ... I use TDS-3 Free trial Here for Trojan and other protection, Just see that range of tools ! They have a forum here Woo Hoo !!

p

Norton is ok for some but when your dealing with downloads of up to 30gb or more a day, its not so good.

nstreet said:
If i have my sums right that will give you an extra .3Mb an hour, which saves you about 3 minutes an hour waiting for downloads. If time is that precious get broadband:D

Nearer 0.2mb/hour actually :p You divided by 1000 instead of 1024 :LOL:

Darkness said:
Norton is ok for some but when your dealing with downloads of up to 30gb or more a day, its not so good.

30GB in 24 hours = average download speed of 364 kbytes/sec = a 3mbit line...

You aren't using P2P on a university or work line by any chance? :LOL:

AdamW said:
Darkness said:

30GB in 24 hours = average download speed of 364 kbytes/sec = a 3mbit line...

You aren't using P2P on a university or work line by any chance? :LOL:

Own line mate. If still stuck for bandwidth, just hack into friends wireless network. :LOL:

Was at University once, nice speed but with 50Mb max user space, speed was going to waste. :(

You haven't got that "Bulldog" 4mbit adsl service have you? I think that's the name of the ISP. I looked into it but it was a bit pricey and I wouldn't use the bandwidth!

Uni lines are great: I used to have access to an OC3 fibre, 155mbps straight onto the backbone. Several times I downloaded 100 mbyte game demos in seconds. Oh yes. Many had Zip drives and a few had CD-burners so it was pretty easy to make use of large files, just take them home.

0.3 ?? 0.2 ??
Guess you guys thinking Kilo Bits ? .. did try to show meaning by use of upper case.
In this instance KB = Kilo Byte = 2^10 bytes = 1024 Bytes and the Mb is 1024 times that or 2^20
--------------------------------
5.4 KB / sec x 3600 = 19440 KB /Hr = 18.98 MB / hr
4.7 KB / sec x 3600 = 16920 KB /Hr = 16.52 MB / Hr
.....................................Difference = 2.46 MB /Hr ???
Even more if using Kilo as 1000 and not 1024.
I thought that was quite a step up.
Not trying to compare dial-up with BroadBand, just pointing to a fast backup dial-up service, easily set up with no ISP charges.
Perhaps for use when having problems with normal ISP.

P

Sponsored Links
Back