Dimmer/Circuit Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

1. I Installed a dimmer 18 months ago which worked fine until this w/e when the light became very faint and would only light a small amount when dimmer dial held in then eventually not at all.
2. Suspected loose/damaged connection in dimmer so opened metal dimmer and noticed earth was no longer connected to dimmer casing earthing terminal.
3. Reconnected to earthing terminal but still nothing – so disconnected from earth thinking this must have been a red herring.
4. Then decided fault might be in the actual dimmer itself (rather than wiring to dimmer) so intended to swap with a standard single white switch but on disconnecting this noticed that the earthing terminal was fixed to the light switch recess so changed my mind and simply rewired the basic switch as before (2 x live wires in terminal marked “1” and one in the single terminal at the opposite end).
5. So, as far as I was aware, at this stage nothing had changed and I reconnected power to the lights circuit.
6. This resulted in the light circuit trip switch kicking in and, on opening up the standard switch, it now appeared black and sooty inside suggesting a short circuit.
7. However after resetting the trip switch the strange thing is that of the 5 lights on the light circuit the only one which now works is the standard single one I opened then rewired as before at step 5 above.
8. Does any of this make any sense and are there any other basic checks I should carry out to identify the problem or should I bite the bullet and call in an electrician?
Thanks

Iain

Sponsored Links
It doesn't make sense, but I fear that's because of your description, not because of the reality of what happened.

4. Then decided fault might be in the actual dimmer itself (rather than wiring to dimmer) so intended to swap with a standard single white switch but on disconnecting this noticed that the earthing terminal was fixed to the light switch recess so changed my mind
Why did you change your mind about replacing the dimmer because the back box has an earth terminal?

and simply rewired the basic switch as before
Basic switch? Didn't you just say you changed your mind about replacing the dimmer?

(2 x live wires in terminal marked “1” and one in the single terminal at the opposite end).
Is that 2 permanent lives and one switched, or one permanent and two switched?

6. This resulted in the light circuit trip switch kicking in and, on opening up the standard switch, it now appeared black and sooty inside suggesting a short circuit.
Is this the standard switch which you didn't put in place of the dimmer because of the earth terminal in the back box, or a different one?

7. However after resetting the trip switch the strange thing is that of the 5 lights on the light circuit the only one which now works is the standard single one I opened then rewired as before at step 5 above.
So you've been fiddling with the wiring at the lights as well as at the switch?

should I bite the bullet and call in an electrician?
That might not be a bad idea, if for no other reason than this:
3. Reconnected to earthing terminal but still nothing – so disconnected from earth thinking this must have been a red herring.

The missing earth connection would have had nothing to do with the dimmer not working, but if you know so little about electrics that you don't realise that the earth must be connected to a metal switch plate, and that if it isn't, or if there's no continuity on the circuit earth back to the CU because you've not bothered to connect it properly somewhere else, then someone could die, then you shouldn't be doing electrical work....

Bite the bullet and call in an electrician or someone with more knowledge than yourself.

Sponsored Links
i would have quick look sort a price to fix it then call you in to fix it at 70% of agreed price and pocket the easy money made off you buddy!!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back