dimmer switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single ceiling light switch with 1 old style pendant bulb. I replaced the pendant with a 3 bulb 40w halogen light fitting. It worked fine but was very bright.

I then decided I wanted to fit a dimmer switch.

When I took the old single light switch off I noticed that there were 2 brown wires twisted together connected to L1 and 1 other brown wire connected to L3. There were also 3 blue wires in the wall twisted together but not connected to the switch at all.

On the new dimmer switch there is a ~, L1 and L2 hole.
Firstly, in the new dimmer, I connected the 2 brown wires (twisted together) to the L1 and the other brown wire to L2. Light didn't work.
Next I connected the 2 brown wires to the ~ and the other brown wire to L1 (no joy) then the other brown wire to L2 (no joy).

Finally I tried to connect the 3 blue wires (twisted together) to various combinations of the ~, L1 and L2 holes but nothing worked.

In the end - I reconnected the old non-dimmer switch and the light fitting worked.

Any advice as to which holes (~, L1, L2) in the dimmer switch the 2 brown wires twisted together, 1 other brown wire and 3 blue wires (twisted together) should be fitted to?

Sponsored Links
Back