Do breezeblocks need a special drill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to drill a few holes in my garage - 6mm holes for a few rawlplugs, nothing fancy at all. My old drill is bust so I borrowed a friend's, it is hand-held but not exactly the wimpiest of drills. It flat-out won't drill a simple concrete block making my garage wall. Drills a little bit then just stops and spins. I try a different bit, same result. I try a much smaller drill to try and get a guide-hole, same result.

I didn't think concrete blocks were especially hard to drill, I used to live in a granite house and that was a REAL pain so is the problem my drill or my bit?

Why is nothing ever simple?!

Sponsored Links
Concrete varies a lot, but as a rule you need a very good mains hammer drill or better still an SDS drill and bit which will go though it without any effort.

Balls. I just want a few bloody holes, what use is a drill that can't drill in a wall :(

Thanks though!

Sponsored Links
I've got some electrical fittings to attach which have 4 screw-points. I guess if I only used 3 I could position each one on the corner of a block... but would that be weaker than the block itself?

Unless the item is very heavy should be ok as long as the pointing does not simply crumble as you drill. Something like a socket or fuse unit does not put much strain in the wallplug.

I often do it, I would not hang a big radiator or well loaded shelf that way but most things are fine.

I would try it and give it a good tug to see should be hunky dory.

Are you using a good quality masonry drill bit in a hammer drill, with the hammer engaged? If you do not have the hammer engaged, it will be easy to burn the tip of the drill.

Footprints you are my hero, drilling the mortar works just great.

Thanks!

My old drill is bust so I borrowed a friend's, it is hand-held but not exactly the wimpiest of drills.
Hand -held as apposed to what?

My old drill is bust so I borrowed a friend's, it is hand-held but not exactly the wimpiest of drills.
Hand -held as apposed to what?
Sorry I meant battery rather than mains :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back