Does my Central heating return have to heat hot water cylinder with this set up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if anyone could comment on the following. Any advice welcome.

I've had a new gas boiler and radiators installed, I decided to keep my unvented cylinder as I like the pressure of shower as is, and I'm still able to heat it electrically if necessary.

My concern is that when the system is running the radiators, will the returning radiator water have to heat up the bottom of the cylinder to the same temperature as the returning water before it stops acting as a load on the boiler? If the answer is yes I'm thinking it might not be a problem anyway? Should there be a one way flow valve before hot water return joins the returning heating water?

The plumber set the control thermostat on the cylinder(between solar in and return) to 48oC ish. But when I felt the lowest pipe in the cylinder in the mornings it felt as hot as the top connection. Is this because the returning heating water could be heating bottom of cylinder above the temp set on thermostat?

Plumber is returning next week to connect open therm to nest heatlink.

Thanks for reading .

Alan
20230928_134458.jpg

Sponsored Links
The heat you can feel in the pipe is probably heat conducted by the copper pipe, it looks to have been plumbed in the correct configuration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back