double glazing condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i had double glazing fitted aprox 1 year ago. no worries. but recently the main bedroom glass condensates on the inside of the window (inside bedroom) not the cavity. this creates small puddles of water on the window sill. what causes this as the other bedroom windows this does not happen. we do have our bedroom door shut at night ?

Sponsored Links
Is the problem only on a single pane in one window or do you have more than one window in the room & it's a problem on one of the windows but not the other? If you have more than one window are they in the same or different aspect walls?

cheers, it has 3 window panels with the 2 outside ones openers. and all three condensate. it is always at the base and creeps up each edge. it has been worse over the past 2 days with the snow etc

By the simple process of breathing, your & your partner exhume a considerable amount of moist air throughout the night which, unless it can escape, will condense on a relatively cold glass window; cooking & drying clothes in the house will only add to the problem. Try closing any curtains, leaving the bedroom door ajar or, a preferable & more healthy option, open a trickle vent (if you have them) or a window to allow some ventilation.

Condensation can be a problem in winter after fitting efficient DG in older houses & when the temperature outside really drops, the situation only gets worse. Older properties are not as well insulated & most don’t have any fixed ventilation; this is now recognised as a problem & compulsory with new build properties.

Sponsored Links
cheers it is not possible to keep the door ajar as we need to keep the cats out. the double glazing has no trickle vents fitted (should these have been fitted by regs) the room i would say is pretty well sealed (house is a wooden framed house built 1982) and the insulation is pretty good. could i put a vent hidden somewhere in the room and would this need to vent outside (maybe into the cavity wall between next door) or use a low noise de-humidifer ?

cheers it is not possible to keep the door ajar as we need to keep the cats out.
Let the cats know & understand who’s in charge like we do, either they behave themselves at night or get chucked out in the cold; they quickly learn who’s boss & behave!
the double glazing has no trickle vents fitted (should these have been fitted by regs) the room i would say is pretty well sealed (house is a wooden framed house built 1982) and the insulation is pretty good.
Trickle vents are recommended but not compulsory on replacement windows unless they were previously fitted.
could i put a vent hidden somewhere in the room and would this need to vent outside (maybe into the cavity wall between next door) or use a low noise de-humidifer ?
You cant just vent into a cavity wall or run a vent inside it, especially if it’s also your neighbours & subject to a party wall agreement. You could fit a permanent vent through your own wall I suppose but I wouldn’t. A de-humidifier will work but wouldn’t it be easier to just open a window a little & let some fresh air circulate, even if only for an hour or so; we always have a bedroom window open slightly at night & if we forget, I wake up with a distinctly fuggy head in the morning!

as with the larches my double glazing was installed three months ago with k glass units , i cant say i,m impressed , last thursday was a bright sunny day but because of condensation on the outside i could not see out for about three hours , the windows are west facing and no trees close by .
i,m glsd my conservatory was built before k glass was about

Hi kfoggy; please check the last post date before posting, the previous on this thread one was back in February ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back