Double glazing failed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know that a real fix for a failed double glazing is to replace it. However, in my case I have a double door so it’s in theory two tomes double glazing. Would drilling a little hole ensure the moisture can escape?

Thanks for all suggestions

Attachments

• E28960BC-9A47-4E4F-B3DE-D8CD3ADF96CA.jpeg
    E28960BC-9A47-4E4F-B3DE-D8CD3ADF96CA.jpeg
    422.5 KB · Views: 41
  • BDD658CD-4C02-4D98-BE4E-61DE28930C2C.jpeg
    BDD658CD-4C02-4D98-BE4E-61DE28930C2C.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
If the seal has failed, and you are getting condensation between the panes, then there is no alternative than to replace.
Drilling a hole, (if it's possible without shattering the glass), will serve little purpose. To remove condensation needs an airflow, not just a drainage hole. The gap between the panes of gas are filled with an inert gas, such as argon. This helps to stop the transfer of heat and why you don't get the condensation in sealed units. Without the gas it's just 2 panes separated by air.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

I know that a real fix for a failed double glazing is to replace it. However, in my case I have a double door so it’s in theory two tomes double glazing. Would drilling a little hole ensure the moisture can escape?

Thanks for all suggestions
diamond leads, nightmare to order from a glazing company

at least it is if they have to match across a neighbouring window

Ok, thanks I am now convinced that I need to replace. Does anyone has a rough idea how much this should cost (labour + material)?

Thanks

Attachments

• 36C764E8-0F98-4B7B-A52F-8541882FA17E.jpeg
    36C764E8-0F98-4B7B-A52F-8541882FA17E.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 29
If it's just the steaming up you need to sort out you can buy kits off eBay (I'm not recommending) or just remove the unit and drill a few holes in the spacer bars - might dry it out.

If it's just the steaming up you need to sort out you can buy kits off eBay (I'm not recommending) or just remove the unit and drill a few holes in the spacer bars - might dry it out.
complete bodge!

Firstly its Toughened and drilling it is a quick way to have a million piece jigsaw, secondly it no longer has any thermal properties if it has hole in it, Third you'll end up with ' swarf ' in the sealed unit , fourth , you'll never get rid of any watermarks ( white staining ) . these kits really irritate me!!
For the love of god avoid this type of ' repair '

As goes a price for the OP , would need some sizes to work out an approx price.... shaped , leaded , toughened , probably the worst scenario though

The inert gas would indeed be Argon , and it has no bearing on whether condensation happens within a sealed unit , and if the original was manufactured before 2002 it may well not have been filled with Argon gas ( and in any case it would have long seeped out )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back