Double Glazing Seals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two of our conservatory UPVC windows, started to get condensation between the two sheets of glass.
We got someone out, and he told us that the seals had gone - and fitted two new windows.

Now, someone has told me, that we did not need new windows. He said that all which was needed, was for the inside panes of glass to be removed, new seals placed inside, and the glass put back.

Can anyone tell me if this is correct, as we now have a big kitchen window which is starting to get condensation on the inside? :?:

Sponsored Links
If your double glazed units had failed and steamed up then you only need to change the double glazed units. You DO NOT have to have new frames fitted. If this is the case then you've been stitched up mate. :confused:

If you look at the window frames (Usually inside on newer windows) you'll see the UPVC glazing beads that hold the double glazed units in place. These are removed and the glass unit is then remove and replaced. The UPVC beads then clip back onto the frames. Very simple to do.

As for repairing existing failed double glazed units. It is cheaper to have new D/G units made up from scratch then to have the existing ones repaired because of the labour involved.

Oops, sorry Glassman, I am not your mate - I already have a husband.
girlie.gif

It was the 'units' as you call them, which were replaced - not the frames themselves.
By that I assume you mean the upvc itself.

Thanks very much for answering my question - I feel much better about it now. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back