Double light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just taken an old light switch off and replaced with standard modern one. The switch plate has one switch for the main ceiling rose and one for two side lights. The wires available are 2x red, 1x black and 1x green / yellow. The new switch has 2xC, 2xL1 and 2xL2. There is also a short piece of red wire that was used on the old light switch to connect from one switch to the other but cant remember which.

How do i refit the new switch?

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
think i understand now. i reckon the four wires that are availble 2x red, 1x black, 1x green must lead to a cable further up the wall but they are all plastered over so cant really say. sorry

Sponsored Links
i mean are all the wires you can see seperate or can you see outer insulation and if you can see outer insulation which wires are in what cable?

hi, cant see. theres just the four wires coming out of the wall / plaster. thanks

the green/yellow is your earth connect to switchplate if metal otherwise to terminal in backbox.

one of the others (probablly one of the reds) is your permanent live connect this to both coms (thats what the link wire is for)

the other two are your switched lives connect one of theese to each L1

you won't blow anything if you get the wrong combination here so easiest soloution to figure out which wire is which is probablly trial and error.

Use your multimeter to identify the permanent live.

This goes into one of the COMs, which is linked to the other COM, and the remaining cables go to each of the L1s

hmm using a multimeter to find the permanent live would mean either putting the wires into some terminal block to test live or messing arround at the CU.

probablly easier in this case to just use trial and error.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back