Draining system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to drain down the system and may have to do this a few times. I was wondering if I could save some time, and also money on inhibitor, if I closed all the radiator valves to reduce the amount of water that drains out.
Is this Ok, or will it lead to air lock problems etc?

One reason I want to drain down is we had a problem with pipes in the concrete floor in kitchen leaking. The leak is fixed but I want to replace the pipes as they seem to have taken a bit of a hammering from a power flush. I may not have time to do it before we go away so I was thinking I might put a valve on both flow and return to isolate the feed to the two radiators under the concrete floor, in case we haave a leak when away. Again is there any problem with doing that?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Closing down the radiators is a good way of limiting the amount of water to drain and shouldn't cause any problems, except that having upset all the lockshield positions you'll probably need to rebalance the system afterwards.

Isolating valves for closing off part of the system can be very useful. I now have a few of these at home.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back