Drayton 10mm Radiator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought a Drayton RT212 10mm Angled Radiator valve with the intention of fitting it to a 10mm pipe into my radiator.

The valve has arrived with a 15mm connection together with a "10mm adaptor" which I can't for the life of me figure out how to fit onto the pipe. Do I need to solder it on ?

Anyone any ideas ?

All advice gratefully recieved

Sponsored Links
yeh that's the boy, but it doesn't seem to screw onto the pipe, i.e you can just lift the entire thing off at the end. The nut that is supposed to lock the valve onto the pipe will not fit over the adaptor unless you take the olive out. It's a 15mm nut I think and isn't the olive vital for stopping the leaks ?

Sorry for being an idiot but I tried every which way last night and it just wouldn't stay on and hold water.

if you unscrew the nut off the adaptor, does the nut and olive slide over the pipe? so that you can then sit the valve on top and screw them upto it.

is the pipe round and not bent, as microbore kinks easily? and is it deffinatly 10mm not 8mm

Sponsored Links
I think the pipe is 10mm as I have installed a 10mm valve on the other end of the rad no problems.

The nut and olive slide over the pipe easily, as they are 15mm. Trouble is when I sit the adaptor on top of the pipe (and I do mean sit it on, as it doesn't seem to attach too well) and then try and secure the valve using the 15mm nut & olive, the nut will not screw over the adaptor.

Will try and recut the pipe tonight as it is a bit old and worn, see if that makes a difference

ang on, if the olive is 15mm your not going to seal it, the adaptor that comes with the valve should have a 10mm olive with it, which should slide snugly over the pipe. or am i missing something?

I think it may be me who is missing something, i.e a 10mm olive.

The nut & olive I have is definitely 15mm which screws on nice and tight to the 15mm bottom end of the valve mechanism.

I may end up changing the pipe to a piece of 15mm at this rate and be done with it. Do they sell valves specifically for 10mm pipes thesedays or is it all 15mm, and the need for those silly adaptors.

wonderb0y said:
ang on, if the olive is 15mm your not going to seal it, the adaptor that comes with the valve should have a 10mm olive with it, which should slide snugly over the pipe. or am i missing something?

NO. Perhaps there are no 8mm or 10mm olives in the box with the trv?

The adaptor is all you need, no seperate olive

Put the new nut over the pipe.

Put the adaptor on to the top of the pipe.

Fastenen nut on to rad valve.

Hold pipe in place and tighten nut,

You will feel it sort of collapse as you tighten it.

Then tighten it a bit more.

Job done

Take the 15mm olive and throw it over your left shoulder, now place the 15mm nut on the pipe, 10mm adapter onto the pipe and valve onto adapter, Now finger tighten the 15mm nut to valve then finger tighten valve to rad, now tighten nuts with spanner and grips.

The 10mm "adapter" is a shear olive. ;)

0003262xn0.jpg

Thanks for all your help guys, I'll try it again tonight, discarding the olive and hope for the best. I still fail to see how the adaptor and nut will grip the 10mm pipe but I ain't no plumber.

Does this mean that the pipe will actually be squeezed/deformed inside the adaptor as the nut tightens ? Is there any danger of damaging anything by overtightening the nut ?

that's it bobthebender, do you just sit that little thing on top of the pipe between valve and nut ?

Look at Bobs Kindly photo, The arrow is pointing directly at the 10mm olive(narrow piece in the middle). On tightening the two larger pieces compress the narrow bit which then shears and forms a water tight seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back