Drilling drainage holes in UPVC door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had problems with rain water accumulating in the frame of a door. From what I can see, there are drainage holes in the top of the frame, but none elsewhere to drain the water.

Sorry about the quality of the photos, but you can see that there's no drainage on the outside. I can see water in the chamber underneath the inner holes. Question is, can I measure the approximate depth and drill two small holes on the outer part of the frame?

Sponsored Links
Shocking :eek:

It could be the face drain holes are hidden behind the trim across the bottom, if your sure there is none then measure about 10mm up from the bottom of the frame and drill a 1/4" hole, you will probably get a stream of water as it drains away. The only problem i see is if the drainage hole were drilled right through to the bottom (as in concealed drainage) which means water is sitting under the frame and is going somewhere, normally soaking your carpet

Thanks for your reply. I stuck the nozzle of a handsoap pump down into the hole and got out a load of water, so it seems it isn't going anywhere. Not that I can see anyway. The inner part of the door frame seem dry. There a small gap (1 or 2 mm) in one or two places underneath the frame on the inside, and the concrete floor seems dry.

The other door has a similar frame and door, with two holes on the outside some 4cm from the edge top of the frame. Don't know if this is anything to go by.

Right so it would seem as the holes don't go right through because it was meant to be face drained but someone forgot to drill the hole in the face...D'oh!

Sponsored Links
Or it has base drainage and it is a miss measure door that was fitted with no cill

Or it has base drainage and it is a miss measure door that was fitted with no cill

Thats what i was aluding to earlier, if it has concealed drainage then that water is going somewhere, badcat reckons its bone dry though so we'll assume the face drain holes have been missed, this would only allow the water to level off at the drainage slot you can see in the pic hence the threshold is always holding water

I've had many years in the industry and can see the problem...the door frame joint and the cill have mastic between them, so the "seal" has effectively blocked the bottom drainage holes. There should NOT be mastic between the frame and cill

A few more years needed then :D

Clearly that is a bit of 40mm plastic trim, it doesn't project enough to be a 150mm and too much to be an 85mm

A few more years needed then :D

Clearly that is a bit of 40mm plastic trim, it doesn't project enough to be a 150mm and too much to be an 85mm

The depth of the piece of plastic , also lends to it being a piece of 6mm deep, 40/45mm wide trim. I hope this wasn't a company that fitted this, as I would be alarmed that they didn't notice the lack of drainage holes on the external of the frame!

Yes I know my cills, it could well be a 125 cill they are available and it could be buried externally in the ground, if you look at the inner picture, you can see I would guess 50mm of frame maybe more, this would suggest the floor level was at dpc level, not a common practice on older houses, though not totally out of the question. If it's a trim, whip it off, remove the sealant and jobs a goodun, if it's a cill remove the sealant

Our sliding patio door has water inside at the bottom of the door after heavy rains. We cannot see the water but can hear it sloshing about when using the door. It feels heavier too. We cannot find any weep holes on the door itself, where are they typically located? Patio door installed in 2016

Our sliding patio door has water inside at the bottom of the door after heavy rains. We cannot see the water but can hear it sloshing about when using the door. It feels heavier too. We cannot find any weep holes on the door itself, where are they typically located? Patio door installed in 2016
This is an 8 year old post, (older than your doors!), and shouldn't really be revived as things change over the years.
You would be better to start your own new post, with pictures if possible, to generate more suitable answers.
Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back