Dry pressure testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When dry pressure testing a gas pipe before the meter is connected. Do you tend to just go to 1.5 times working pressure. Meaning a pressure of 0.2 x 1.5. So 0.3mb. Or is it advisable to go higher than this if pipes are getting encased etc.

Sponsored Links
Any help on this I am studying to become gas safe. Through doing my NVQ level 3

Any help on this? I am studying to get my gas qualifications through doing my nvq level 3

OK, where do you derive 0.3mb from?

I assume (dangerous I know....) that you meant 20mb, * 1.5 = 30mb. But, as standing pressure is meant to be circa 27mb (but, often goes to 30+mb before regulator takes it back down to nominal 27mb), a test of 27mb*1.5 would be closer to 41mb....

What do your books say?, what do the people you are training with (to get the portfolio together) say?, what does the course trainer say?

Sponsored Links
The online copy of the viper book I have doesn't mention dry testing the pipe before covering well it does but doesn't mention the pressure to do it at. The gas person I have worked with before sadly doesn't bother testing it before taping and covering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back