Easter tiling woes - Tiling to a shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen a couple past posts about tiling to a shower tray but these don't seem applicable to me.
I'm fitting a walk-in shower (1700x900) & have had to make a 100mm wooden frame to sit it on as I need the height for the waste pipe to run from the centre of the tray. I proposed to cover this with 12mm marine ply. Now question is - do I tile down to the floor and then fit the frame and seal where the slightly sloping side of the tray meets the tiles or do I recess the frame (and part of the tray) into the wall and tile to the top of the tray? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Popular view is to silicone seal the tray in first (with weight in the tray and allowing 24 hours to cure!), then tile to the tray. Finally apply a second silicone seal between the tiles and the tray.

Hi DarrenSL
Do you mean silicon to the tray to the plasterwork first?

Yep. Silcone between side of the tray and the wall though I'm not too sure how well silcone sticks to plaster. Might be best to prime the plaster with PVA/water.

Sponsored Links
Will do that.
Do you recommend using a shower tray sealing strip or just silicon?

Silicone beading alone should be fine, you will afterall have a double barrier from the two lots of silicone.

Do you mean the edging strips which fix under the tiles? They're OK and look really neat but are not absolutely necessary. I guess it depends how good your beading is.

If you mean the self adhesive strips I'd steer well clear. They tend to come off after a while.

Thanks for that Darren
I'll have a look at the seal strips but will probably go with the 2 beads of silicon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back