Education on line.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could be a very useful piece of kit for the parental toolbox.

A reasonably well educated young chap ;)

Click for Khan speaking at ted.com

His stuff :-
http://www.khanacademy.org/#browse

I read a little more about this guy after viewing his take on the 'Paulson Bailout' particularly here :-
http://www.khanacademy.org/video/bailout-14--possible-solution?playlist=Paulson+Bailout

The idea of creating new banks and running them with excellent managers who, he says, exist and would be honoured to do so for far less than the current crop... Khan was a senior analyst with a hedge fund, age 34 - armed with his MBA from Harvard Business School, M.Eng and B.S. in electrical engineering and computer science from MIT, and B.S. in mathematics from MIT - he left to concentrate on his 'academy'.

-p-

Sponsored Links
OMG!

What is he on about? All I know is, if TED Airlines has anything to do with this then it must be complete lies. I had the misfortune of flying with them a few years back and they really, really couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery. No really.

Surely by teaching at home in this way we would be further removing young people from the reality of the big wide world.

Sponsored Links
OMG!

What is he on about? All I know is, if TED Airlines has anything to do with this then it must be complete lies. I had the misfortune of flying with them a few years back and they really, really couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery. No really.

Surely by teaching at home in this way we would be further removing young people from the reality of the big wide world.

I guess 'OMG' just about says it all.

Ted airlines ?? Nah Not even close. TED (Technology Entertainment and Design) is a global set of conferences curated by the American private non-profit Sapling Foundation

Teaching at home? More like help at home and in the classroom.

Khan was surprised to get a query last year from a board member of the Los Altos School District. "We just assumed they wouldn't want to work with us, but they asked all the right questions.
"As soon as we started working with them, we found they were better run than most for-profit companies. (Bureaucratic) issues with the firewall were changed in half a day."
Los Altos uses Khan in what it calls a "hybrid learning model" in which students spend part of every math class working through new material at their own pace. Khan generates a data "dashboard," so at any moment the teacher can see how each student is progressing, or where some are stuck.
"Los Altos was willing to do something fairly radical," Khan said. "We didn't have to change what we were doing for that. I've got to give them a lot of credit."

-0-

Back