Electric or Gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might be a silly question but what would be cheaper to run overnight. An electric dimplex cadiz eco heater 3kw with controller set to run at 20 degrees in one bedroom or running my gas central heating throughout the whole house again temp set to 20 on the stat. The reason I ask is that we’ve recently had a baby and I’m finding that I need to keep the heating on throughout the day and night but was thinking if I only heat the bedroom at night using the electric heater and switch off the central heating would it be more cost effective throughout the winter.

Secondly during the day again same question but would it be cheaper the heat one room using a gas fire or better to run the central heating throughout the house all day

Regards

Jag

Sponsored Links
I believe it is cheaper to run the heating rather than the fire, as the heating will switch off at set temperature.

20 degrees may be a little warm for baby's room. I think it only needs to be at about 18/19.

Gas vs Electric depends on your costs. I would say again the gas is cheaper. Switch the kettle on and watch that meter spin. 3KW heater is like having the kettle on for a rather long time. I think my gas is a lot less than half of the electric price in KW/h.

If you go the electric way, make sure you have a working smoke alarm in that room, so tempting to warm towels for a 'few seconds' and then forget about them :eek: or things fall accidently onto them.

In fact make sure you have one whatever you do!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back