Electrolux oven cutting out even when cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My oven, type 9497 1649801 has started cutting out. It started a few days ago and I thought we'd had a power cut as the clock flashes and needs resetting and obviously it won't come on until it has been reset.

I realised we weren't having power cuts as the microwave didn't need resetting, and there were no flashing of house lights.

It also cuts out when cooking, but as it cuts out when it's not been on, it can't be temperature related. I thought it was maybe a faulty timer but I'm not sure now.

Today I found it cuts out when I push the igniter button for the gas hob. Holding 3 out of 4 igniter buttons for a few seconds causes all the icons on the timer to come on briefly as the timer resets and the oven goes dead until the timer is reset. I'm thinking this is an electrical problem but don't see the connection between the igniter push button and the timer resetting.

Before I take it out and start looking at it, has anyone got any suggestions?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Any suggestions? Any at all? 100 views and no comments... Any suggestion is best then none...

My GUESS: Clock module has failed.

Clock Module has a safety device in it that isolates gas and oven controls when there has been a power out, and clock unit has been reset.
So if Clock Module is having intermittent issues it will reset, go back to flashing mode and isolates gas and oven controls.

Reasons for Clock Module might be bad solder joint or slow failure of one of its internal component (Voltage regulator, capacitor, diode, etc).

Igniter push button on remote hob (even though a distance from oven itself) might be reducing voltage or causing voltage fluctuations and (if say) Clock Module issue is a Voltage regulator or capacitor, then voltage to Clock Module might be becoming unstable and dropping below a certain level and triping Clock Module in flashing safety mode.

As said all Guess work.

Suggestion - Do a search for you oven name and number and clock on google or one of the spare parts websites.

Note that I could not find your oven using "Electrolux 9497 1649801". Or "Electrolux 9497". Have you got the correct Model number.

is it EOB3400EAX

SFK

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hello SFK, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

The number you quote is on the label, along with the number I quote. I put my number into one site to look at parts and it worked, but there are 3 numbers for some reason.

Anyway, my first thought was the timer, as it craps out even when there is nothing on. Then, pressing the igniter also made it crap out. Part of that is a red herring as I found that each of the 4 buttons operates the igniter on all 4 burners so there is no reason why 3 buttons caused a problem and the 4th didn't. But it's still like that...

I then thought that maybe the igniters are affecting the mains supply in some way, maybe as you say, by pulling the voltage down enough for an over sensitive component to quit.

I pulled the oven out and checked the wiring and the socket and although the wiring isn't the neatest, it's all in order. In dim light I can't see any signs of arcing in the wiring or components, and no signs of burning in the timer or leaking capacitors. General electrical problems virtually eliminated, I again suspect the timer.

Funny thing is when I had the oven on the floor I couldn't reproduce the problem lol

I couldn't find any wiring diagram for the timer or instructions for bypassing it but I managed to bypass it. Well the timer is dead and oven, fan, grill etc, work so I think I bypassed it.

I'm going to use it as is for a few days to see if it happens again. The cost of 60odd quid for a timer seems high and although the clock is useful, I've never used the timer in the 3 years I've had it, and I never used the timer in the previous one in the 7 years I had that. If it is the timer, I may choose to live without it, although it does look a bit odd.

Edit, looking at one of those links in more detail, there's a timer with the same part number as mine for £20 (and many others for £50-60!), so if it is the timer and I can't repair it, I might spring for that. £20 is OK, but not paying £60 for what's basically an ornament. Thanks again SFK!

Last edited:
I used the oven with the timer disconnected for a week or so without problems without it cutting out, so concluded that it was faulty.

Rather than mess about testing the capacitors and other components and then sourcing replacements, I forked out for a new one from SFKs list for £20. It arrived quickly and was installed and tested within 15 minutes or so and everything has been fine since. For some reason the oven was held in place and held together with torx screws. Not necessary imo, but I had a driver for them anyway.

You're welcome SFK, thanks for confirming my suspicions about the timer, and for the links. Most useful.

Maybe it's my imagination but the new timer (fitted yesterday and despite intensive use the oven worked normally yesterday and today) seems quite a lot brighter than the old one. I hope this one lasts longer than 3 years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back