Energysaver 40e Boiler Flame Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try again ;)

Over the past couple ofweeks, my Energysaver 40e boiler has been making loud "booming" noises after it's been on for about 10-15 mins.

After having removed some of the covers and stood in front of the boiler and watched the events, this what is happening:

When the boiler switches on everything is OK until about 10-15 mins and then suddenly the blue flames (looking through the peep hole) are extinguised. This is accompanied by a loud booming noise, which, if I have the metal cover in place, caused the cover to bow outwards. This is obviously due to an increase in pressure inside the boiler case behind the cover.

Now to the left of the boiler there is what I assume to be the gas inlet pipe (which isn't actually connected to the boiler - there is a 1" gap between a rigid black pipe ending in a nossle of some sort and the boiler itself) but I'm assuming this is where the gas is forced into the boiler.

With the front cover removed thus exposing the gas and water pipes in the case, I noticed this morning that when the boiler flames go out, the area in this 1" free space ignites briefly in a blue / orange flame. This I suspect is the cause of the pressure build-up with the front cover in place.

A couple of seconds after these events, the gas supply switches on again, the spark clicks and the flame in the boiler ignites normally.

The black pipe goes into a device under the boiler, which is also connected to the gas copper pipe.

I'm going to call BG to look at this later today, but so as I get the technical terms correct, can someone please offer a suggestion as to what might be going wrong and what I should get BG to look at?

I used to have the BG 3* Central Heating cover until last Dec, but BG declined to renew it due to many problems they have been called out to with similar boiler installations on my housing estate.

Any idea what kind of cost I'm looking at?

TIA

may i also ask you read forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
sounds like a faulty ignition electrode. Some times cleaning and adjustment of the spark gap sorts this. I have also had faulty pcbs giving out a weak spark. Either way you need a corgi man who knows what they are doing.

Agree that a Corgi man will need to be called, but I'm not sure it's the spark electrode. The spark ignites the flame OK, but for some reason the flames in the boiler go out and the flame works it way back towards that inlet nossel (which I'm sure isn't supposed to happen). Looks like the gas pressure drops for some reason, maybe a faulty gas valve / pump?.

I'll call them tomorrow, didn't get a chance today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back