engine timming alignment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently changed the head gasket for my car it is pergeout 306 Mreg. I did it by following hayes maintenance book. The only thing i did not follow properly was to lock the cam shaft at the time of disessambling the head. While essambling after replacing the head gasket I forgot to aligned the marks I made on the gear on which the timing belt runs. Thus it is not strating .

Does anyone knows how to re-align the timing for the engine.

regards

Sponsored Links
All 306s are identified as "interference engines",so if the timing was incorrect when you tried to start it you probably damaged the valves.I would suggest you remove the belt,turn the crank so that all the pistons are set half way in their bores.Reset the camshaft timing,bring No.1 piston back to T.D.C. Replace the timing belt then do a compression check,this will tell you if you have engine damage and the need for head removal again. If you do have to remove the head,ensure you use another new head gasket.

;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Jonny,

When i tried to start the engine it rotated with out any indication of damage i.e. any metallic sound. So it gave me an indication that there might not be any valve damage. I think what really happed is when i replaced the timing belt, the difference between the old setting and the new is 90 degree. Never the less your argument is plausible and the only way to check would be to remove the heat and check the damage which means i have to replace the gasket if i open it again.

Is there any other way to assure that the piston are half way in the bore or i have to open the head + is there a way to check timing.

regards

kafeel

If you followed the Haynes book there should be instructions in on how to set up the timing. Try turning the engine over by hand. If it turns over without too much resistence you may have got away with it. But having to force the crankshaft round could spell valve or piston damage.

per306m said:
Hi Jonny,

Is there any other way to assure that the piston are half way in the bore or i have to open the head + is there a way to check timing.

regards

kafeel

I assume it's petrol so,remove a spark plug and feel for the piston with a long thin rod etc. Turn the engine by hand until the piston is about half way up/down the bore.You don't mention timing pins but to ensure correct settings you do need to use them..not expensive.Read the manual and understand what you are trying to achieve before you begin.Then do a compression check as previously advised,it's the only way you can be sure of engine damage or not.

;)

Sponsored Links
Back