Enough pressure for a mono bath filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm just about to have our bathroom replaced and I'm stumped on bath taps. The bath we've ordered has a very narrow edge all the way round which makes the installing of two taps pretty difficult (unless they are placed very closed together).

Ideally a mono bath filler would be great but all of the ones I'm looking at requires 0.5 bar minimum. Our hot water is gravity fed, but the cold comes from the mains. Our cold water tank in the loft is 2-2.5 metres above where the taps would be so we'd get 0.2-0.25 bar for the hot water. Our cold water pressure is really good - will this make up the rest, or does it not work like this?

I'm not even sure if a gravity fed hot water feed and mains fed cold water feed can be used at the same time on a mono mixer/filler?

Any alternatives if I can't do it like this? Do wall mounted taps even exist?!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
No, the cold won't make up the rest, and could possibly work against the hot. You not only have half the head/pressure needed for hot, but unbalanced supplies too. The cold could overwhelm the hot in the mixer, and force it back into the cylinder, up into loft header tank and out the overflow pipe.

If you're going for a mixer, you need one suitable for your head flow. One with proper washer type valves is more suited to low pressure than mixers with ceramic valves.

It would also help to have a non-return valve on the hot supply, to prevent any backflow if you go for mixers. Get full flow versions of NRV, as some can reduce what is already a weak flow in your case.

Can you not get 2 taps on the corner of the bath?

Thanks, that's great help and I completely understand my problem now.

Two taps may fit in the corner of the bath. It might be a bit tight but I think B&Q do some taps that have a smaller footprint. I take it having taps a little closer together or closer to the edge doesn't weaken the bath in any way?

And I'll look into the non-return valves...

Thanks once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back