extending a shed base for a bigger shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a shed which is 6 x 4 ft

Due to the kids bikes and needing more space in the house I want to replace it with a 6 x 6 ft shed.

The current shed sits on a concrete base. I will need to extend this base to accommodate the new shed.

I have some photos of the area:

View media item 64296 View media item 64295 View media item 64294
I want to extend the base to the left.

I have received various pieces of advice on the best way to proceed with this task and so I'm here asking for advice on the acceptable ways of doing this and why I should do it one way versus another.

The first bit of advice was that the area was too small to consider shuttering and getting a truck to pour in a mix for me. I was advised to dig out the area adjacent to the existing base.
  • Apply a layer of broken up concrete or stones.
  • Cover with sharp sand.
  • Lay concrete paving stones to the same height as existing base, fixing them with dabs of fencecrete (stuff used to fix in fence posts and sold in convenient size bags)

The other option I was given by someone else was to dig out the area adjacent.
  • Lay a weed suppressing membrane.
  • Lay concrete paving stones or engineering bricks directly on top of the membrane.
  • Place the shed bearers directly onto these paving stones or bricks.
  • Place shed on top

Second option obviously seems a lot easier but I don't want any problems down the road. The shed will hold a lot of stuff: Bikes, lawn-mower, DIY tools etc.

Can anyone advise me on the best way to proceed or at the very least what I should expect if I was to pay someone to come in a provide a solution for me.

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Maybe it's just me but it seems a lot of bother and expense to go to, just to get a shed which is only 2ft wider.
Why not build an extension or lean-to type roof on the side of the shed, or build a 2nd shed elsewhere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back