Extending horizontal boiler flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My new extension has brought the current Worcester SI boiler flue inside (red in image). It's still close to the great outdoors though, and if I were to turn the flue bend to go through the side wall rather than the back wall it's mounted on, and pass through a 1m wide toilet, I can exit again about 1.5m away in total.

I understand it should be a registered engineer doing this, but is it essential?

Is it OK to just send a flue pipe through another room?

Can it bend 90 degrees half way to come out a different wall? (blue in image) I believe this would notionally just add 50cm to the length?

Would they need to be real Worcester system components?

Can the standard Worcester flue pipes be cut up easily?

Cheers

Attachments

• boiler flues.png
    boiler flues.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 267
Sponsored Links
The problem is if you do this wrong and it leaks that's people potentionally dieing.

It needs to be a gas safe engineer.

To expand on the above answers, yes it must be a registered engineer who does it as they are the only ones who will have the necessary tools to both check the flue integrity once the work is done, and also adjust the gas valve to account for the additional restriction generated by the increased length and possible extra bend. Altering flues is classed as gas work, and so it can only be carried out by Gas Safe Registered engineers. Only Worcester components are tested to work with your boiler, so only Worcester components may be used. Any other brand would be classed as dangerous. It's fine for flues to pass through rooms but they must be inspectable, you can't box them in permanently

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back