external render "skirting" - what is it for

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've cut away some path at the front of the house for a flower bed to grow climbers.

However, as seen in the pictures there is a render "skirting" at the base of the house, some of which is damaged and coming away from the brick. The top of this render is level with the DPC and underneath it is just normal red brick.

Any idea what this is for? Should I repair it or remove all of it and should I waterproof it in some way with something like tanking slurry?

Thanks in advance
@ndy

Sponsored Links
I think it was a perceived treatment against damp and rain splash.

Trouble is, they may work if lime but no good if cementitious -the disadvantage is that cement render stops evaporation of damo in the underlying brick.

These plinths often go down to or below ground level and often up above dpc - ie not good building practice.

its an old idea to have a plinth of sand an cement to prevent slpashin and damp penetration. but its had its day andusualy causes bridging damp or similar. your plinth is bridgin your DPCan probly sucking up water from ground contact.
its best to nock off the plinth an rake out an repoint the beds.

looks like a cavity wall but is ther any signs of damp inside?

Notch7, bobasd

Thanks for your replys

Yeah the plinth goes below ground and about 10mm above the DPC. I’ve lived in the flat for about 3yrs and not seen any sign of damp though

As most of it is falling away anyway, I’ll probably remove and re-point as bobasd suggests

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Maybe the bricks below DPC looked a little perished so a previous owner rendered them with the cement. All too often, houses suffer from two problems

1) The finished ground surface outside is normally too high due to flags etc.. Should be min 6" below DPC

2) People often lay flags, block paving, tarmac etc.. right up to the bricks of the house. Always best to leave a minimum 6" gap filled with gravel to reduce/eliminate rain splash.

To repoint, rake out old mortar 25mm deep. I use 3:1 ratio below DPC and 5:1 above DPC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back