Externally run pipes - Solar PV mounting system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have previously asked about possible ways of running 2x 28mm Flow/Return and 2x 22mm Cold/Hot to a remote annex. I can't find that thread now so apologies for asking another one but this might be useful for others searching in future.

So this may be a very stupid question but here goes...

As above, I've got to get 4x pipes (2x28mm Flow/Return, 2x 22mm Cold/Hot) from the main part of our house to an attached annex. The routes to get the pipes there are few without burying under the ground which I'd rather avoid (can't go under the floor - UFH pipes; can't go through the ceiling - ceiling is full of insulation and fully finished; can't go round the outside at low level - bifolds).

There is, however, a pitched roof that links the main house to the annex. Could I possibly use a solar mounting rail to secure the pipes to and take them round that route? These are the ones where you lift a tile and fit a bracket to the joist, then notch the tile and put back around it before bolting a horizontal rail to the brackets. I know it won't look particularly pretty but is at the rear of the house and will be mostly obscured from view due to a pergola.

Pipes will be insulated/protected with Armaflex 25mm and to be clear, there are no panels on this section of roof, this is purely consideration of using joist mounting system and rail to provide a solid run across the roof. I can't see how this might differ from piping for something like a solar thermal panel and will maintain the requirement for the pipes to be replaceable if required.

Any thoughts/ridicule welcome.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back