False Ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need more information about installation of a false ceiling. I'm going to take my old one down and start a fresh and replace with a plaster board false ceiling.
Do I just screw the wood to the wall then apply the cross members, if so is there a particular method in doing this?
Once I have acheived in putting the frame together I need to think about fixing the plaster board and at the same time leave holes for my spot lights.
Has anybody got any tips that can start me off on the project.
Cheers
Wozzo

Sponsored Links
I'd suggest putting a wooden frame up all around the perimiter first. It's easier than fitting lots of individual noggins after the joists have gone up and also provides a nice straight edge to work to.

Use joist hangers to hang the joists and run the joists across the width of the room (being shorter makes them less liable to sag). Make sure you mount the joist hangers just slightly high, and chissel the ends of the joists accordingly, (this allows the plasteboard to run flat across them).

Before you start any work, make a scale drawing first. Take particular note of where you want to put your light fittings. If you don't plan it first, sods law says that, a joist is going to run right through where you want to cut your hole. This can sometimes be avoided by starting your full sheets from the other end/side of the room.

If you need to bury any trunking in the wall, do this before you put up the afore mentioned perimiter frame. Run all cabling required for your light fittings before you put on the plasterboard. Coil up loose ends and temporarily, clip to nearest joist of their final destination.

I would suggest you consider leaving the original joists in place. In order to prevent any sagging you can use wooden hangers from the old joists down to the new ones.
I would also suggest plasterboard screws instead of nails.( missing the nail damages the board).
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back