fast, high thin dense evergreen screening plant ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live next to a pub garden and the pub has got loads busier and roadier this year with yobs from town.
Heavy leather football come into garden frequently and many like to have a nose around when climbing up to ask for ball back.
for this reason in need advise on a climber to replace old ivy.
The wall is brick for 2 feet and then very old tellis for another 4 feet.
Over the years several types of ivy have been growing over trellis and the ivy looks rather like a long round tube on top of the wall. Pruning just reveals ugly old dead shoots, leaves etc where the shoots have coiled around each other. its current height ranges from 3ft to 10 feet and resembles a cloud!
I would like to remove it for something flatter that flowers, is safe for a young child to be near and obviously evergreen that can be pruned and trailed correctly and must provide as near to total screening as possible in the least possible amount of time.
Any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
If you keep it under control -leylandii hedging is the best cover and will be thick enough and evergreen to give the privacy you desire. It is a fast grower and I prune mine back twice a year and leave the fence about6 -7feet high. My neighbours are happy with the height as they have three young boys who are always playing football and it helps keep the ball in their garden. However there has been bad press about people letting their hedges grow to ridiculous heights - 20 -30 feet. But if you intend to keep a check on them I can recommend them. I have a passion flower growing up the front of one of the trees - very effective 'trellis'.

Similar idea to you, my friendly next door neighbour have rotten fence panel and I'm thinking something like this.

Have you see these screen panel type?

images
AmbWillowFencePanel1-1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why not contact the council? If the pub dont control their cliental they can loose their license.

Just an idea, if its as bad as you say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back