Fiat Punto, What Should I Look For?

K

keego

I'm after a small car for my young son who's only just passed his test & have decided on a Fiat Punto as the insurance is only bloody expensive instead of extortionate!!
What should I look out for on these cars (P,R,S reg) I know you shouldn't buy one of these unless it's got the red key, but any other tips would be a great help.

Sponsored Links
I would say handbrake: my experience of Fiat handbrakes around this age is that they are always rather ropey. So, don't be put off if you find the handbrake is less than ideal! :LOL:

With a young lad this does of course have a major advantage: it is almost impossible to do a handbrake turn, so he is less likely to a**e about in it and you can sleep a little more soundly knowing this.

Rust: rust is unlikely, Fiat started galvanising ALL their cars in about 1990 (I'm not an anorak, it's because my mum got a Tipo then, and being a car-mad little boy I read all the literature)

I used to have a Tipo (95 M) back in 1997. No rust worries, but there were one or two electrical gremlins even when the car was only 2 years old - the central locking springs to mind.

I would be inclined to check the lights, wipers, heater blower etc, all work properly.

Not a bad little car for the money really, look for signs of overheating or cylinder head problems, check all the electrics,also the rear suspension wishbone bushes. Have a look by standing about 15 or 20 ft behind the car and look at the angle of the rear wheels, they should be vertical. Any leaning or slight towing in indicates the bushes are gone which is not unusual.

You are right about the red key.

Sponsored Links
Why not get a Saxo. Cheap insurance, It's got the street cred. A good all-round car. I bought my son one, his first car, it's a 1999, I bought through the trade and got a good deal. You should be able to pick up a good one for between £1500, £2000.
Good luck
Quick Fit

Must agree about a Saxo, it will probably hold its value a bit better because of its street cred with young lads. Fiats can also be a tad pricey on some dealer only parts too.

Thanks for the help people but after all that he's decided to go for a fiesta, at least there's plenty of parts available for when (not if) he bends it. :rolleyes:

Fiesta, not a bad car either. My sister's car until recently was a 1990 Fiesta automatic. It drove really nicely even though it was a 15 year old car. The head gasket was starting to go (mayonnaise in oil filler cap, and it drank a pint a week), but it was a great runner. Replaced 2 weeks ago with (coincidentally) a Punto :LOL:

What age is your son's new fiesta? Not sure about the newer ones, but the older engines are really easy to work on.

AdamW said:
Rust: rust is unlikely, Fiat started galvanising ALL their cars in about 1990 (I'm not an anorak, it's because my mum got a Tipo then, and being a car-mad little boy I read all the literature)

Adam, if you're not an anorak then Pope John Paul II wasn't a tarmac snogger! :D

AdamW said:
Fiesta, not a bad car either. My sister's car until recently was a 1990 Fiesta automatic. It drove really nicely even though it was a 15 year old car. The head gasket was starting to go (mayonnaise in oil filler cap, and it drank a pint a week), but it was a great runner. Replaced 2 weeks ago with (coincidentally) a Punto :LOL:

What age is your son's new fiesta? Not sure about the newer ones, but the older engines are really easy to work on.

It's a 96 1.3 encore, just give it a mini service & everything looks OK, top end is a bit rattly, I'm hoping it's just the tappets but given the price we paid & the condition of the bodywork if we need to spend out getting the top end sorted I'll still be happy.

These motors are a bit on the noisy side, ropey sound insulation I think, but IMHO a much better choice than a Punto. Doddle to source parts for. And besides, the sooner Fiat/Ferrari go the same way as Rover, the better.

petrol puntos hava tendency to lose oil from the driveshaft seals, so I would look as the bottom of the engine to dsee if it is oily

Sponsored Links
Back