Finding more power

AZ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having driven cars of 1.6cc and above, i was in for a bit of a shock with my MK6 FIESTA 1.3LX as i started my journey home after buying it. I was
always led to believe that these were little nippy motors but it felt like being in a Kids merry go round.

I am not a boy racer as Forties is looming but i went and got a power flow catback exhaust system fitted and also put a KN 57I Induction onto.
As i said i am not a boy racer so had them reduce the noise from the system and also went for a sleek looking small oval pipe which looks really classy.

i have had some good results from the two with good midrange acceleration between 25mph to 60mph.. However! anyone know how i can get better 0 to 30mph acceleration without going to the point of rebores, turbos, camshafts ETC??????

I JUST WANT A NIPPY CAR, NOT A PORSHE BEATER! ;)

Sponsored Links
Get a lighter car like a 106
Or a bigger CC car

Any tuning you do will use more fuel anyway so you may as well just get a bigger engine - with LPG if you want to save money.

I have thought of that John already! The thing is that i get 45 to 50mpg even with these Mods as the engine breathes better , so not a case of higher fuel costs......

The car is fine, just need a way of getting it to be more responsive in the 0 to 30mph range. :)

if you're happy with mid-range power then your problem seems to be acceleration from standstill i.e. 800rpm to 3000rpm.

you are getting into the territory of camshaft changes or ECU remapping ("chipping") but most off-the-shelf power tuning destroys low rev characteristics in favour of mid-range to top end performance.

you need to be looking at changing the 1st and 2nd gear ratios for something a bit shorter than you currently have, but at the cost of a long jump to 3rd gear OR buy a car that has a long stroke engine so that you develop torque rather than revs.
A good source of alternative ratios is sometimes a gearbox for a car derived van as they are set to lug heavier loads from standstill.

the old adage that nothing beats CCs stands true I'm afraid.

Sponsored Links
John.....do u feel the remapping would be the best answer as this should alter mixtures, timings etc?

Not too sure mate.

My brother has had his new passat 2.0 tdi chipped which I think remaps the fuel and he said it's not made any differance to consumption but he can feel the extra bhp.

I'd still say you'd be better finding a car that's already got LPG and a fast engine.

I've got an Impreza turbo that is fats but it supps fuel for england if you boot it.
I saw a lpg converted one on ebay and I was tempted to buy it... really a good option while LPG is half the price of petrol.

Diesel is OK mpg wise but you pay more at the pump so I am not a huge fan like my bro.

you will struggle to find any gains for that engine without spending,id agree with buying something more powerfull or whip the engine out and stick something tasty in it

It ain't worth remapping a naturally aspirated engine - you'll see naff all gain. Remapping is only really beneficial on engines fitted ith turbochargers.

JohnHamer1977 said:
Diesel is OK mpg wise but you pay more at the pump so I am not a huge fan like my bro.

What, like 1p a litre more? That's 60p a tank for your average car so paying more at the pump makes little difference. What does make a difference is the additional economy.

I used to have a Volvo V70 T5. Stunning car. Stunning performance. Stunning consumption. 72 litre tank. 280 miles. That's about 18 to the gallon.

Now got a Ford Mundano TDCi (surprisingly good car). 55 litre tank. 600 miles. That's nearly 50 to the gallon.

It don't take a genius to realise that the Volvo used to cost me a whole lot more even though Diesel costs one or two pence a litre more!

Regards

Fred

a mk6 fiesta should be nippy, can you confirm what the exact engine is? there may be a problem with the lambda sensor if there is distict lack of power.

iTS A 1300 DURATEC with Catback powerflow and 57i KN INDUCTION.
It is quick between 27mph to 50mph............just want better o-30 acceleration.

smaller diameter wheels will increase your acceleration but lower your max speed.

reduce the weight by removing the spare tire+jack+axe+shotgun from your boot would also help.

Sponsored Links
Back