Fireplace levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Have a heavy slate hearth to lay. Have already floored it and it’s only housing a electric fire on top so no issue. Want to bring the level up about an inch level with floor and just lay hearth floating which I don’t see being an issue. Stuck on what’s best way of going don’t think any damp here as all dry and don’t want to invite damp. Not the greatest with cement. There will be a gap of about 15mm to the floor that is in place including floor board. Question is what’s best easiest way. Was thinking dot and Dab a board in wood or cement or self leveller etc thoughts please.

Attachments

• 62D0EA7F-7E35-4709-B894-F53B86A13B26.jpeg
    62D0EA7F-7E35-4709-B894-F53B86A13B26.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
I'm just a DIY'er so please ignore!
Given the fissures and unevenness of your base, I would use mortar.
I laid my hearth on a mortar bed. Don't worry about being good with cement, a ready mixed mortar: https://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone-general-purpose-mortar-grey-5kg/36857
is really easy to use (just mix in the tub and poor in).
I would fill in the gaps with the mortar first to make a level base. When dry put a damp proof membrane on top, then put some blocks on the base to raise the slate to the correct level, poor in the mortar to your desired level and lay the slate on.
The blocks will support the slate true until the mortar goes off.
I hope that makes sense. Though again, I may be completely wrong!

Hi mate, that’s pretty much what I’m going to do. May need two of them what you said, it’s 900x350 and about an inch deep. Was gun use some sbr neat paint that on then level with the cement. I have some laminate under lay with damp proof in and lay that then lay the slate floating it’s a heavy piece and won’t go any where thank you

Yeah, get a few. They don't go as far as you may think. And you can always take them back unused!
Your plans sounds good.
Using the blocks to support the slate would be good if you were laying on wet mortar, but if you are letting it float on dry stuff then don't worry.
Good luck! :)

Sponsored Links
Hi sand cemented it tonight used some wood with oil on to partition it how long before I can move the wood please

Attachments

• 1A37947D-A531-46E0-8034-32C064F5E9D0.jpeg
    1A37947D-A531-46E0-8034-32C064F5E9D0.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 49
If you used the Cementone stuff, the tub says sets hard in 12 hours. I would give it a poke first thing in the morning and see how it is.
...cling film wrapped around the wood also works well :)
Edit:
You could screw some screws into the edge of the wood and just give it a wobble to start breaking it away from the mortar?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back