First Home Progress Thread

Great progress, the amount of carnage caused by stripping walls back to brick looks very familiar to me now.

Sponsored Links
Very slow progress recently. Mostly because we have been off at festivals so we cant really complain.

But! started digging a small trial pit in the dining room hoping to find a solid floor slab and found nothing which to me seems very unusual?

Either way, looking on the bright side it means that we can look into putting a new slab, insulation and screed with underfloor heating down.

View media item 101697

Same as my kitchen. Quarry tiles on earth with a suggestion of very weak 1" concrete. Did the right thing like you.

Same as my kitchen. Quarry tiles on earth with a suggestion of very weak 1" concrete. Did the right thing like you.

Exactly that! The weak concrete mix really threw me!

Did you put a new slab down then?

Sponsored Links
Exactly that! The weak concrete mix really threw me!

Did you put a new slab down then?
Yep. Right ball ache as I'd plastered and painted. I'd layed the new part of the kitchen slab early days just after I'd built to DPC. The old part of the kitchen had ceramic tiles on top of the old quarries. I was simply going to remove the ceramics and just tile on top. But on removing them I noticed the quarrys were all over the place, most importantly some were too high. So I thought I'd just remove them. With my naivity in building I was surprised with the lack of slab under the 100 year old floor! Spent a bit of time trying to think of an easy bodge before buying the bullet, digging out 1' to lay mot, blinding, DPM, insulation, 5" slab.

Then had the issue of realising I was meant to be tiling the lot but now having a 3 month cure time on the slab. F Ball F77 saved the day. Witchcraft.

Yep. Right ball ache as I'd plastered and painted. I'd layed the new part of the kitchen slab early days just after I'd built to DPC. The old part of the kitchen had ceramic tiles on top of the old quarries. I was simply going to remove the ceramics and just tile on top. But on removing them I noticed the quarrys were all over the place, most importantly some were too high. So I thought I'd just remove them. With my naivity in building I was surprised with the lack of slab under the 100 year old floor! Spent a bit of time trying to think of an easy bodge before buying the bullet, digging out 1' to lay mot, blinding, DPM, insulation, 5" slab.

Then had the issue of realising I was meant to be tiling the lot but now having a 3 month cure time on the slab. F Ball F77 saved the day. Witchcraft.

Ahh yeah massive ballache! Well, looks like its a new slab then! Looking on the bright side, I suppose we can consider putting underfloor heating across the back of the house. I will Google the F Ball F77 now as I dont really fancy waiting 3 months either. Thanks mate.

Ah dam, oh well.

Can I recommend saving / reselling the terracotta tiles, they are getting rare!

Yes definitely, there is a small courtyard to the bottom of the garden and were tempted to use some of them for that area. But whatever we dont use, either keep or sell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back