Fitted wardrobes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to attempt some fitted wardrobes but have a tricky situation where the depth is limited by a door opening on one side (about 53cm deep) and i then need to come out further to allow clothes hanging (approx 60cm) I'm barely confident on making the carcass but not confident enough to make doors. Can anyone recommend company that sells fitted wardrobe doors or make to measure at a reasonable price. I want it grey so dont need fancy wood.
If they make the carcasses/drawers etc even better but I can't afford the £1800 ive been quoted for fitted wardrobes and the depth isn't sufficient for sliding doors. I was quoted £1400 for sliding but didnt like the sound of packing out the doorframe to make an adequate depth for hanging.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I used to make all my wardrobes built in years ago. I purchased some internal doors and built the wardrobes around those, worked very well. 1st house did it in 2 bedrooms, 2nd house in 4 bedrooms
Where we went round a breast , I used that space to hang wifes long dresses - so maybe something to look at how to maximise that space.

Yes considering it if I dont need to use a router. I'm no professional but it doesnt seem that difficult once I have my measurements. Just need to find some videos or websites with guides ideally. Seems to be, build a base, box out the carcass, top board near ceiling and roberts your mums brother. The reality is i'll probably waste so much materials that i may as well of paid a pro :)

i didnt have a base or wall cover
so just a frame for the doors and top shelf , where between walls - the i put architrave round the frame and wallpapered, so they looked they where all built into the wall
never had a router at that time, or any special tools , apart from a drill everything hand tools.
BUT that may not be the look you are after and more wardrobe looking
last house , I just fitted some ikea full height wardrobes , they worked out much cheaper than i could build and had draws on outside as well as various hanging sections

Sponsored Links
I looked at ikea. My problem is I have limited depth for part of the wall, hence looking like i need bespoke. Height floor to ceiling is about 2.4m so quite high as well

i've seen that. thanks. I can have normal hanging for the second half of the wardrobe. It's the first half that's the problem so need to make that shelves/drawers. It's finding ready made doors and how best to transition from shallower depth to deeper.

I built a built in 40 years ago, to fill an entire flat wall and create massive storage space. Its a bit crude by modern standards, I had to use what was available back then, limited tools and MDF coated white panels. 6x 36" doors on a double rail, which can all be slid to one end of the tracks. Its provides three sections, two hanging spaces at either end, with a series of varying sized cubby holes in the mid-section. One hanging space is full height, the other is half height with two rails for shirts, jackets, jumpers and coats.

We have high ceilings, so there was space above to make three massive cupboard spaces over each section. The cupboard doors are top hinged and lacking any better idea to keep them open for occasional access, I used a section of chrome tube as a prop. I only recently added the runners and rail system which cost a little less than £90. It might not be that pretty, but it is very practical and includes space for a TV in one of the cubby hole sections.

SO looks like i need bespoke. I need 188cm wardrobe and part of that needs to be less deep than the other. I could fit the carcass easy enough but I would need bespoke doors. I could use Ikea/B&Q doors which are 50cm each but that's 150cm leaving 38cm. it will look odd not extending the entire wall.

SO looks like i need bespoke. I need 188cm wardrobe and part of that needs to be less deep than the other. I could fit the carcass easy enough but I would need bespoke doors. I could use Ikea/B&Q doors which are 50cm each but that's 150cm leaving 38cm. it will look odd not extending the entire wall.
Make up frame to reduce size to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back