Fitting Electric Shower to Exposed Chrome Setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have an exposed chrome mains-fed shower in which the pipe leads off from the mixer tap just above the bath tub (see pic). My boiler packed in recently, and I want to install an electric shower as it's more economical than heating a tank just for a shower.

I would be grateful for advice on electric showers that I can integrate into my current arrangement without damaging the tiles and causing as little cllateral damage as possible. I want to run the electric cable from the ceiling via an isolation switch.

Many thanks,

m

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, OwainDIYer. I didn't even know these existed.

I think the supply is mains, but there is a hot water tank in the airing cupboard next to the bathroom. I live in a flat. I assume the supply is from the tank as when the boiler worked hot water flowed.

The reason why I am looking into this is because the boiler has packed up and I am just fed-up of having to rely on expensive repairs to just have a warm shower.

I want to get a combination boiler in time, but not at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

I have an exposed chrome mains-fed shower in which the pipe leads off from the mixer tap just above the bath tub (see pic).

Is the cold feed to that mains pressure or from a loft tank?

This

http://www.screwfix.com/p/galaxy-gap95-powerstream-unvented-instant-water-heater-9-5kw/93177

fitted below the bath might be an alternative. My crystal ball tells me it's reduced to £90 next Monday 20th Oct.

Awful things, very poor flow rate & temperature rise. Just install a proper electric shower or better still a thermostatic mixer shower of your new combi.

Hi, yes I have an immersion heater. But I have avoided using it as I have the impression that the running costs are high.

Hi, yes I have an immersion heater. But I have avoided using it as I have the impression that the running costs are high.

Only if you leave it on all the time.

3 kW immersion for an hour to heat the cylinder will cost the same as 20 minutes shower under a 9 kW instant, or about 36p assuming 12p/kWh.

The cheapest running cost will be to repair your gas boiler. However that involves a higher initial cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back