Fitting Karndean...urgent help needed!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started to lay my new karndean flooring yesterday and thought all was going well, but today the plywood appears to have lifted from floorboards and I now have lumps in my karndean.
4mm ply was layed on floor boards and nailed at 5inch intervals. I then bonded this with 2 coats of unibond and everything seemed tight to the floor.
the plywood i havn't laid on yet seems fine and firmly fixed to boards as was other half of room til this morn.Was wondering if the adhesive can make ply react.Could this problem be cos i used 4mm ply rather than 6. also was wondering if ayone has pulled laid karndean up and managed to reuse strips. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
How did you fix the ply down? Did you use ring shank nails or divergent staples as you should have done?

What adhesive did you use?

It depends on how uneven the sub floor was but 6mm ply would have been better.

Hi, Floor boards were pretty level at start. Used copper plated lost head hardboard pins (20mm). Used the karndean Acrylic adhesive, and yes plywood was wbp.
Have now been advised to put alot of weight on the karndean - hoping this will flatten out the lumps!??

Sponsored Links
If the pins weren't ring shank then it may well be that the ply itself is lifting off the floorboards rather than the Karndean not adhering to the ply.

Thanks -
Is it possible to lift the planks already laid and re-use them? How easy are they to remove?
Have you ever tried this?

agree with flooringman

You will be hard pushed to pull the planks up of acrylic, normally shears the plywood.

Are you sure it was wbp? Where did the plywood come from and does it have the britishstandard mark in the corner telling you have grade?

oh dear...def Wbp - bought from Selco - which i have since been advised never to buy ply from Selco!! (bit late now)

there is alot of plywood coming in from china that is wrongly stamped, had loads of problems with it. It seems to be every where at the moment and the whole salers dont seem to be doing nothing about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back