Fitting new Upvc Patio Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - - - - -
Has anyone fitted a new upvc patio door?
My old old is letting in rain and i've been ringing around for the best quote - Expensive or what?
I've just about spent up on cutting the living room and re-decorating it so i need to fit it myself.

Any help very much appreciated.

Andy :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you are fitting an aluminium patio door then you may need to fit a timber outerframe first and then fit the sliding door frame within it. If it's a UPVC sliding door then you can direct fix to the brickwork.
The rule for fitting patio doors is the same as it is for fitting windows really. Allow 5mm clearance at both sides and across the top between the patio doors and the brickwork/outerframe. Use anchor screws to secure the frame to the brickwork at approx. 500mm centres and no more than 150mm from the corners. Make sure when fitting that you 'pack' the 5mm gap before fixing the frame and be very careful not to overtighten the anchor screws because this will twist and knock the frame out of square.
It may be much cheaper to find a local private window and door fabricator to manufacture your frames for you. Many are more than happy to supply windows and doors on a 'Supply Only' basis and may even provide you with detailed fitting instructions. Your best bet is to shop around.
I would advice against using B&Q, Screwfix and the like, because the chance are, they won't have a frame to the size you want. There is no such thing as a 'standard size' patio door or window.

Ask a local private window company for advice but stay away from the big boys who may try to over charge you. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back