Fitting soffit vents.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a couple of months of dithering, I'm just about to drill and install gable vents to ventilate the roof space of our bungalow. Its boiling hot in summer up there and dripping with condensation in winter.

I've had advice about gable vents on this forum already, but have been doing further research prior to fitting. Someone suggested fitting round vents to the closed plastic soffits below the roofline in order to draw cooler air from down below to replace the hot air which will (hopefully) be expelled from the gable vents above.

Does that sound like a sensible arrangement? Is it OK to fit plastic soffit vents in a UPVC soffit? I only ask because almost all the advice I've found online talks about fitting round soffit vents in wooden or plywood soffits, which makes me wonder whether they're not designed to be fitted in plastic soffits.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
No idea why, but this thread appears to have been posted twice. Could someone please remove one version....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back