Fitting tap and drain; Flexi tap connector not long enough and seal below sink not effective

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys!
I decided to brave it and change my bathroom tap.

Things were going rather well (managed to remove old tap and drain fine). But now I am stuck with two problems.

Firstly the hot and cold water outlets from the wall are quite far below the sink which means the 300mm flexi tap connectors do not fit. The flexi connectors from the old tap seem to be 500mm but those too are just about fitting if I turn them at a very sharp angle and besides they are rusty so not too keen on using them.

Question1:
Should I just get longer flexi tap connectors? I could not find anything beyond 300mm at screwfix, toolstation, b&q and selco. Any ideas or maybe I was just searching incorrectly.

Alternatively is there anyway to extend stuff. On the wall side I have what looks like a pushfit connector with a screw bit that I used to isolate the water (and a ball on the inside).

Question 2:
I replaced the drain too. The seal on the top of the sink seems fine i.e. I shut the drain cover and water stayed there without leaking so seemed ok. However when I allow the water to flow through it seems to leak out a lot from the side of the seal the bottom of the sink.
What should I do? Should I use silicon for a better seal?

For more context on the bottom side there is a black rubber bit, then a harder white bit and then a large black locking nut.

The tap I and drain plug I am trying to install is this one if that helps.
https://www.toolstation.com/deva-ethos-taps/p22723

Sponsored Links
Pictures of your pipework and waste fitting ( plug hole as you call it) would help .
The short answers are ,yes you can extend pipework , and the waste fitting may benefit from silicone sealant but very often the seals that come with it will do the job without silicone.

Thanks, I will upload pictures when I next get a chance to work on the tap again (probably one of these evenings).

Update: I managed to find longer flexi tails (600mm) so will put those on, saves me having to extend and have one more join to worry about.

For the waste fitting a friend of mine suggested some plumbers mait so will give that a shot to see if that fixes the problem and update everyone.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back