Fix sanitary units before building new stud wall around?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all bathroom lovers, I'm sectioning off part of bedroom to create separate, not en suite, new bathroom. Should I build my stud wall first and then squeeze sanitary units in? Thought that fitting toilet, basin and bath first might be easier option. Then I build my wall and door around them. I'm planning to cram a slim toilet as close as possible to small basin, shunted up to 1700 shower bath. Door opposite sink and basin. Has anyone got any hard won experience on this?

Sponsored Links
Obviously build the wall first but allow enough room for sanitary ware to fit in, taking into account the finished depth of plaster & tiles etc.
If you do it your way and build the wall tight to them how are you ever going to get at them for maintenance or replacement.

Sponsored Links
Wall first

First fix

Decoration (tiles etc)

Second fix

As mentioned above, allow for tile/adhesive thickness for wall and floor if tiles and board are to be added. Check, check and triple check measurements and positions as you go. It' really annoying if you have pipes coming out of your new wall that are 10mm too short to connect to your flexis.

Wall first

First fix

Decoration (tiles etc)

Second fix

As mentioned above, allow for tile/adhesive thickness for wall and floor if tiles and board are to be added. Check, check and triple check measurements and positions as you go. It' really annoying if you have pipes coming out of your new wall that are 10mm too short to connect to your flexis.

Thank you, Squeaky. With your advice, I shouldn't slip up on this one.

Obviously build the wall first but allow enough room for sanitary ware to fit in, taking into account the finished depth of plaster & tiles etc.
If you do it your way and build the wall tight to them how are you ever going to get at them for maintenance or replacement.

So glad you came back on this, Sooey. What's obvious to you, is fresh to me. You've saved me from insanitary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back