Floor boards sound proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone 'sound proofed' floor boards ? I have a problem with noise in the bathrooms (especially shower noise).
I was thinking about compact foam sheets (cut to size and slid under the base of the shower base).
Most of the noise is due to the floorboards creaking (which can be easily fixed by replacing any nails with good quality screws).
Any ideas :?:

Sponsored Links
Well you've answered your own question regarding the creaking. As for shower (water) noise, it's unlikely to be impact based sound. Probably a gap under/around the bathroom door or thin walls.

and if the flooring is chipboard :mad: you may as well pull it all up and refloor in WBP ply. You can tuck some rockwool of loft insulation between the joists while you're at it, it reduces airborne sound a bit but is not much extra work or cost if you have the floor up.

Sponsored Links
I've never heard anyone complain about 'shower noise' before. It's usually peeing and farting (or worse) that take pride of place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back