Floor construction in new extension...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a tricky one here and looking for the best way to move forward. I'll get started with the scenario....

In-laws have a new rear extension kitchen/diner going in. Rear wall of house removed to create one big space. New extension is block and beam construction, currently approx 200mm below finished floor height for insulation and water UFH. Old kitchen and dining room is suspended timber floor. Floor finish is to be tiled throughout.

We have decided completing the UFH throughout the entire space is probably too complicated to bother with(?) as its spanning two different floor constructions, so we are laying this in the new extension only.

Question is, how do we build the floor construction to finished surface? We have minimal height to play with on the existing suspended floor, say maybe 30mm from the joists to match the hallway.

The concerns i have are keeping the finished level to a minimum in order to avoid a step at the hallway, and cracking of tiles at the threshold of UFH concrete base and non-UFH suspended floor.

Thoughts on best way to commence?

Thanks in advance!!

Sponsored Links
To get the levels to match you work down from finished floor level which will give you your b/b level. I would incorporate a movement joint where the two floors meet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back