forced air gas central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a 24 year old gas forced air heating system which was giving off an odor in the house when the heat was on. I replaced the furnace and the water heater and am still getting the odor. The technicians tested for Carbon Monoxide emmissions and there are none. They cannot find the source of the odor and are now thinking I need the ductwork replaced. I am tired of throwing good money after bad. The chimney is clear and the vents are drawing the gases to vent properly to the chimney. The odors are affecting my health in that it triggers my asthma. There is no residue in the house, it's just an odor. This odor usually floats up from the furnace after the fan and burners have stopped. It makes me cough when inhaled. What's my problem, please somebody help me! My house is making me sick.

[Edited by teacher on 08-12-2002 at 16:36 PM GMT]

Sponsored Links
testing for carbon monoxide was only a precaution,since it does not smell is colour less and LETHAL

Logic would suggest that as you have changed xyz and you still get the smell then it must be part W. or part w is dirty

Part W is anything you have not changed, could you not "open " the ducting or shine a torch in it to see?

Ducting to the chimney has been checked for obstructions and is clear. It is a little dusty but not serious enough to cause the aforementioned problem. But, it is obvious that the problem is somewhere either in the ductwork or connected to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back