Frameless Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently renovating my home and I'm in the process of installing a new bathroom. I will be creating a new entrance through a solid brick supporting wall (140mm thick).

To make things that much more difficult I've decided the finished doorway needs to be frameless (without architrave) as the new entrance will be from the living area and I want it to be as discreet as possible (there are a number of other doorways in the room).

There are one or two companies who provide proprietary frameless door systems but having received some fairly expensive quotes I was hoping there may be a diy alternative.

The main problems I'm concerned with are the initial size of the door opening to be cut out of the brickwork; do I need a wooden frame and therefore should I include additional height/width for wooden door inset or not?

If a wooden door inset is required for example to mount concealed hinges or top/bottom pivots then how do I overcome cracks appearing in the final plaster finish.

I've found an oversized U-channel section that is 148mm wide that I thought may cover the wooden door frame but I'm not convinced the final finish will be great.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
You'd be better off posting this in the Building forum. Your Projects is for showing off completed projects. As it says at the top.

cheers
Richard

Moderator's note
You can use the "report" link to request a move.
This also saves thread duplication

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back