French Constitution Vote

I suspect it was margaret Thatcher, who wanted a wider rather than a deeper EU. Entry negotiations with China would be interesting.

Sponsored Links
Damocles said:
I suspect it was margaret Thatcher, who wanted a wider rather than a deeper EU. Entry negotiations with China would be interesting.

Why are you suggesting that Mrs T wanted what we are getting? I thought it was Ted that took us into this " simple trading block between the peoples of Europe"

What sort of taxation levels would you consider appropriate for the west to sort China's problems? why don't we include Africa too? why stop there? why not S. America? indeed if we carry on we can really stuff the Yanks, can't we?

As I remember it the plan was that confusion and argument resulting from expansion would hold up further integration or make agreement on additional changes impossible.

david and julie said:
Why are you suggesting that Mrs T wanted what we are getting? I thought it was Ted that took us into this " simple trading block between the peoples of Europe"
It was Ted Heath government in 1971 who desperate to suppress the truth about trading in the common market, so in 1973 he wanted to persuade the English people that joining Europe was a good thing & were only joining for a trading partnership then later on he had known all along that England was signing up to a Federal Europe.

In 1998 when he was asked if he had known that going to into the common market would lead to federalism, he said "Of course I bloody did".

Sponsored Links
After leaving this for a while i come back and my head is now spinning-------------can someone explain to me what China has got to do with the EU and when are they joining????????????

Freddie said:
After leaving this for a while i come back and my head is now spinning-------------can someone explain to me what China has got to do with the EU and when are they joining????????????
Sarcasm Freddie, I meant at what point does enlargement stop, do the EU want to go all the way to China. Likewise my comment about Africa and S. America.

Seriously though, how far do the Eurocrats want to go? they have never actually said how many countries they want in their club have they.

I am sure eurocrats love collecting countries like other people collect stamps. The difficulty though is whether the countries are sufficiently compatible to be able to join.

Apparently the current EU treaties allow the EU to do things other than explicitly written down in the treaty provided they unanimously agree. Which in a sense would mean that yes, they could take upon themselves powers to do more things. That might even mean they are entitled to re-write the existing treaty under the terms of the existing treaty without all this faffing about with referenda.

In plain language, does that mean we are now governed by a dictatorship?

When you say "they" who do you actually mean?

david and julie said:
In plain language, does that mean we are now governed by a dictatorship?

When you say "they" who do you actually mean?

His hero's who else, i mean his is the EU's number 1 fan, i can imagine him screaming with delight when Mandelson makes an appearence, rumour has it he threw his boxer's when the EU president came out of the building

In this case I think the cthe 'they' would be the council of ministers. Unanimous agreement required. But possibly also the parliament, presumably by simple majority.

Mandlesson suggesting the Uk should give up its rebate? Hardly. I wondered who had turned the thumbscrews on him to force him to say it.

I liked the way the Germans had a referendum, amongst there mp's, obviously didnt think that the great unwashed German masses could make up their own minds

Whilst we are busy 'playing the game' advantage is being sought ..
LINK
Is this like a soccer match where one team rigidly follows the rules, the other makes it up as they go along? With the inevitable result.
:eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back