G8 wants tax on airline tickets to help world poor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • You get cheaper cars ... You get higher driving taxes.
  • You get cheaper airline seats ... You get higher travel taxes.
  • You get 'cheaper' mortgages .. You get higher council taxes ( bank charges my increase or decrease .. council tax is a one way street )
There is never anything in any of this to 'stop' or 'relieve' the taxes once the perceived, or otherwise, benefit has been eaten away.

One 'good thing' on top of another ..... Aid should be helping others to help themselves not throwing money at the problem...Mind you it achieves a few inches of publicity and very little else.
We know the UK outlook on debt, many to their eventual cost !!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
If you're going to borrow money, you should make sure you can pay it back. Sure, perhaps we shouldn't have lent them the money in the first place, but if we hadn't then people would be moaning because of that instead.

We can't win.

Hey, I got a mortgage to buy a house, now I don't feel like paying it back. Will G8 get the bank to stop taking it out of my account each month?

If they want third world debt cancelled, perhaps we should follow the approach of most other lenders and repossess whatever they bought with it? Obviously this isn't right if the country is one that's just having a lot of bad luck, but certainly it would be right with war-torn countries: take away all their weapons, then perhaps they can settle down and do some farming for a change.

No apologies if I sound like a g*t, some countries are trying hard to get themselves out of the mess, for instance Ethiopia. But some countries have no-one to blame but themselves (unfortunately innocents suffer), for instance Somalia.

HMG should not be so free and easy with our taxes revenues .... Bl##dy 'war chests' be dam ned ...
Never mind, at the rate we are going Bob G will be touting the world for donations to us ! I bet I know the response too F-Right-O ! ;) :D :D :D

AdamW said:
If you're going to borrow money, you should make sure you can pay it back. Sure, perhaps we shouldn't have lent them the money in the first place, but if we hadn't then people would be moaning because of that instead.

We can't win.

Hey, I got a mortgage to buy a house, now I don't feel like paying it back. Will G8 get the bank to stop taking it out of my account each month?

If they want third world debt cancelled, perhaps we should follow the approach of most other lenders and repossess whatever they bought with it? Obviously this isn't right if the country is one that's just having a lot of bad luck, but certainly it would be right with war-torn countries: take away all their weapons, then perhaps they can settle down and do some farming for a change.

No apologies if I sound like a g*t, some countries are trying hard to get themselves out of the mess, for instance Ethiopia. But some countries have no-one to blame but themselves (unfortunately innocents suffer), for instance Somalia.
sorry Adam but that's very blinkered thinking, you have a mortgage out of choice these poor unfortunate people are starving to death, there really is no comparison we are very fortunate to live in a country that even if you fall on hard times will bail you out, those in africa have had no-one to bail them out of death.

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
........... we are very fortunate to live in a country that even if you fall on hard times will bail you out, those in africa have had no-one to bail them out of death.

Dam ned if I will ever feel guilty about 'being fortunate' .. if anyone should be, it will be those who profited directly from the Imperialism, no doubt traceable to this very time in history ... We do not have to look very far.
:rolleyes:

kendor said:
sorry Adam but that's very blinkered thinking, you have a mortgage out of choice these poor unfortunate people are starving to death, there really is no comparison we are very fortunate to live in a country that even if you fall on hard times will bail you out, those in africa have had no-one to bail them out of death.

Man's three basic requirements: food, water, shelter. I don't have a mortgage out of choice, I don't have the money to buy shelter outright.

My point is that if a country has a history of spending all its money on weapons and other frivolities then we must not lend them money, nor relent on outstanding debts, until we have taken those weapons away from them.

The reason much of Africa is in such a bad state is because of the people in charge there. Many are far too concerned with gaining power and influence instead of feeding their people. You could say it's our fault due to our imperial history, I would point you in the directions of Canada, Australia, NZ, many other African colonies, Asia, South America, Carribbean and so forth. They manage to feed themselves perfectly well.

Back