Gable end roof tiles lifted. Really unsure on what the fix is

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, the roof verge (row of tiles on the gable end) are higher than the existing tiles. The rest of the roof is nice and straight. See attached.

I've had several roofers out for quotes and had a plethora of opinions, cowboys and others out. Some have said the battens have failed and need replacing, opting to take off three rows of tiles then replace battens and recement the verge. Others said the entire roof needs doing, some said the battens are rotten when they looked fine in his picture.

Had one roofer out today who has good reviews, he said the battens sag over time and settle, saying that as the verge is on a concrete gable end wall, they can't settle with the rest of the roof hence appearing higher. He said it's a simple job to just take the one row off over the gable end and recement down with less cement so they sit level with the roof.

At this point I really don't know who is telling the truth, but I feel like the end row of files does just need to be relaid with the height in line of the rest of the roof.

Is this all nonsense, is anyone telling the truth? Does anyone really know at this point!

When I had the survey done they only mentioned the ridge tile having lifted, so it does feel like perhaps the verge just needs laying lower. I've honestly no idea if the last owners just repointed it themselves at one point and put too much mortar in. So lost on which path to take at this point.

Attachments

• PXL_20230922_114134366.jpg
    PXL_20230922_114134366.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
The ridge does look a bit bumpy... have you been into the loft to see what the state of the roof is?

Can you take a photo of the gable end, or is this not possible?

Sure - here is the gable end not the best view as it's right on the property line - unfortunately I can't get into the loft space to see, as that part of the roof is now hidden by the dormer conversion done by the previous owner.

Attachments

• PXL_20230922_114112590.jpg
    PXL_20230922_114112590.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Had one roofer out today who has good reviews, he said the battens sag over time and settle, saying that as the verge is on a concrete gable end wall, they can't settle with the rest of the roof hence appearing highe
This is correct to a point .
Rafters can settle a bit with wieght of the tiles , the brick gable will stay where it always was, hence the up sweep.
Fix is your choice , strip verge tiles down to a few tiles back . Check and replace battens a little packing might help . Rebed verge .

Further info would be difficult to add just from a couple pictures .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back