Galveston

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ever since I heard the Webb/Campbell song of the same name I've always wanted to visit. It's an island beach suburb that sits just in front of Houston (Texas) - and Hurricane Ike might just come a-callin' in the next day or two.

So I think I'll visit later - if there's anything left to visit. The residents have been evacuated just in case.

Has anyone been there?

"Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
Before I dry the tears she's crying
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston"

Sponsored Links
Havn't visited that part of the states joe but i do like the song.

Yeah I think I've heard of it. Do they make a Indigestion Remedy there Joe?

Sponsored Links
Sorry Joe! Here's a nice pic of part of the island to make amends :)

GalvestonBeachSunset.jpg

since you,ve been gone ive been out of my head on zantac ....hoo ho ho

I've been watching the local news for 3 hours now. It is incredibly awesome and devastating already. The entire island will be underwater in another few hours and 40% of the population have stayed put. A lot of people will be dead by the morning. It's borderline (unofficially) category 3 right now and still just short of making landfall.

The worst ever hurricane hit it in about 1900 and around 6000 died.

It's terrible that parts of the USA get devastated by extreme weather.

If only we had some idea of what causes climate change, and what could be done to reduce it :(

It's terrible that parts of the USA get devastated by extreme weather.

If only we had some idea of what causes climate change, and what could be done to reduce it :(
Yes... "what's that?... Poetic Justice?"

The backlash of Mother Nature perhaps? One of the worlds biggest polluters being ravaged by the environment that it is altering. Mother Nature needs to be careful, Bush will declare war on her if she's not careful!

Ever since I heard the Webb/Campbell song of the same name I've always wanted to visit. It's an island beach suburb that sits just in front of Houston (Texas) - and Hurricane Ike might just come a-callin' in the next day or two.

So I think I'll visit later - if there's anything left to visit. The residents have been evacuated just in case.

Has anyone been there?

"Galveston, oh Galveston, I am so afraid of dying
Before I dry the tears she's crying
Before I watch your sea birds flying in the sun
At Galveston, at Galveston"

Joe, I lived in the US for about eight years (pre-Dubya, fortunately). I was based in Houston for some of that time and used to occassionally drive down to Galveston. It takes a few hours of driving through Texas which on the whole is a pretty tedious and repititious state. Though Galveston is an island it is linked to the mainland by the Galveston causeway - I remember a (small) toll being payable for its usage. Galveston is well worth seeing as it has a good deal of antebellum (pre-civil war) architecture. It once had a thriving fishing industry which has largely been replaced by a voracious oil indusry which seems dedicated to bu**ering up the Gulf of Mexico. Still a good place to have seafood though.

If you are ever over that way do visit. If you get the chance Corpus Christi is not far away and that too is worth a peek. So is San Antonio very beautiful but don't expect too much re the Alamo which is a bit of a let-down.

New Orleans is also a must for a couple of days though it is wise not to go off the beaten track. Stsy near Bourbon St and the centre and avoid Lois Armstrong Park which is the embodiment of squalour.

Blimey, I've become Judith Chalmers. (That's not to say I have turned orange and my arse has burst through the Parker Knoll). :oops:

Sponsored Links
Back