Garden wood table repair before to paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another quick question, I just took the table out of the shed so to make sure to remove any dampness or humidity before to paint it in a week or two.

I pick up and just remembered that the table was a bit damaged at some area where I guess the wood would have rotten.

Any thought if I should get that treated or else before to paint?

Will be using culprinol shade to paint it.
http://www.diy.com/departments/colours-garden-colour-fir-wood-stain-750ml/182162_BQ.prd

By the way, do you think it is that gonna be easy to paint that table so no brown is left over?
As you can see there are bit of space which won't be able to access easily to paint...
What do you think?
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
If the wood has rotten through then there's not much you can do other than replace parts? If it's just on the suface, then rub it down until the wood is sound and then perhaps use wood-filler to build it back up. When you use that stuff, try and get it as flush and as even as possible, because wood filler is harder to sand down and the smoother it is, the less work you have.

Once sanded, it can be painted with your Cuprinol.
I can see quite a lot of flaking varnish, so best to sand the whole table, making sure any flaking parts are gone, and the table smooth and even before you paint. The cuprinol paint should cover ok in 2-3 coats (If you use cuprinol garden shades). As for the gaps, should be ok, just may have to load up the brush and catch any drips from the other side, but the table doesn't look that thick so I should imagine won't be a problem.

Many thanks for the information provided.
Instead of sanding the flaky bit... could a high pressure jet wash remove the flaky bit quicker by any chance?

Will get some wood filler at my next trip to the diy shop. Any brand type will do or best to go for a good quality one?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Am a bit concerned that the wood may be in bad enough condition already, and pressure washing it may not be a good idea. Sanding should be straight forward anyway, you don't need to remove all the varnish/wood stain, you just need to remove any flaking bits and smooth it down.

As for good quality, totally up to you - just make sure it's wood filler that is ok for exterior use. Oh, I wouldn't buy any until you've got the table ready and know the damage, it could be that it's rotten through. Thinking aloud, I guess you could buy wood hardener if that's the case. May get a few years out of that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back