Getting a dishwasher for the first time - totally confused

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie here so please be gentle with me if I ask stupid questions. I have of course done a search through old posts but can't find anything which answers my question.

I live in a flat which my boyfriend and I rent from his mother, and she's happy for us to do the odd bit of DIY if we want to - so we're not constrained by what we can/can't do as we might be if we were 'regular' tenants.

Basically I am interested in putting a dishwasher into the kitchen. Because we might move out at some point, I'd really like it to be a free-standing one which we can take with us at some point. However, because the only cupboard-space available is partly taken up by skirting board, I think that rules out a full-size one with a standard height of about 85cm.

I therefore think I need to go for one of the smaller table-top style ones, which I'd still really like to hide away in the cupboard. I can just about figure out how to do the plumbing part of the installation, but I'm not sure about powering it.

The cupboard in question has a switch above it saying 'dishwasher', which leads me to believe that it's possible to plug the dishwasher in somewhere tucked away in the cupboards, but I have no idea where to look. Am I being completely stupid here? Feel free to tell me I am - I'm a total novice.

Sponsored Links
'Basically I am interested in putting a dishwasher into the kitchen. Because we might move out at some point, I'd really like it to be a free-standing one which we can take with us at some point. However, because the only cupboard-space available is partly taken up by skirting board, I think that rules out a full-size one with a standard height of about 85cm. '
I dont understand what you mean by skirting board bit.
The dishwasher will probably have a cut away at the back so the skirting board should not get in the way.
Do you have a waste outlet? & is there a caold water supply available.
The electric bit is the easy bit, (although some would say differently..lol)

Thank you for the reply. I don't mean the skirting board, sorry - I mean the raised bit underneath the cupboard which is currently in the way. I guess I would need to take out the whole cupboard to fit in the dishwasher.

Yes, the cupboard is right next to the sink so the cold water supply and waste outlets are readily available.

My main confusion is really about the electrics. The switch above the counter which says 'dishwasher' seems to indicate that when the kitchen was built it was deemed likely that someone might put a dishwasher in there. It's a pretty modern flat - built in the last six years or so.

You ment 'plinth',
Its probably got a socket hidden, so that you can plug the dishwasher in but switch on/off elswhere, I never switch mine off. If I am servicing it I would unplug it.
I think you would be far better installing a standard dishwasher, when you move you take it or sell it to the new people.
I assume you would have to remove a base unit to install the d/washer

Sponsored Links
May not be a socket but a wire outlet , a white box with just a hole in the centre? dishwasher is then wired into that, no plug, assuming the switch above the sink is fused.?

May not be a socket but a wire outlet , a white box with just a hole in the centre? dishwasher is then wired into that, no plug, assuming the switch above the sink is fused.?

Problem with that type of wiring, when it goes wrong its not an easy exchange for the machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back