Glowworm Space Saver mkII control issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved house and now have a Glowworm Spacesaver mkII boiler with storage cyclinder (installed in 1986 apparently). The problem I have is that the boiler only fires when there is a demand to top up the hot water cylinder. i.e. when hot water has been used the boiler heats up hot water and the radiators fine, no problems.

But when the hot water cylinder no longer demands heating, the boiler stops firing to the radiators too (even though the temperature is well below the level sewt on the thermostat).

I have changed the thermostat and this doesn't sort the problem. The system seems to work fine when the water cylinder is being heated, but not when it isn't being heated.

Any ideas on the likely cause? Thanks. in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have you got any motorised valves?

I'm not sure, where would the motorised valves be?

I think the circulating pump is still going but it seems as though the boiler stops firing as soon as the hot water cylinder is full.

Motorised valves, there would be either one with 3 connections, or two with 2 connections, located just after the pump, possibly in cylinder cupboard. Brass body with pipes attached, and a silver or plastic head with a wire coming out.

Sponsored Links
Not sure from memory and I'm not back home until Friday evening. What have I to look out for then with these? Is there a tell-tale sign if these are faulty? Is this the likely fault in your opinion?

If boiler and pump are working, you have hot water, then its possible the heating valve isnt opening to let the water around the heating circuit. If you have the 2 port versions, they are powered open, spring close. If there is a problem it may not open as it should. Easy temp remedy if this is the case.

Perhaps the problem could be whatever sends the control signal to the motorised valves then? As when the hot water cylinder is being heated, the heating system operates as it should do. The only problem is when the water cylinder no longer requires heat. At this point, the radiators go off.

AFAIK (Mandate/D. Hailsham are the experts on workings of motorised valves!), the valve is controlled by signals from the appropriate stat. Stat calls for heat, so sends 240v to the valve to energise the motor. This opens the valve and then activates a microswitch which supplies the power to the boiler and pump in order for them to operate.

It is possible the valve is opening as per supply from stat but the microswitch is faulty thus not supplying power to the boiler. (Boiler will receive power from the hot water valve when required by the cylinder stat, and so also heating the rads, but when cyl stat is satisfied it shuts boiler down. Heating valve should continue to supply the power but doesnt.) Failing this it could be a fault in the actual wiring of the system. If it has never worked properly since you've been resident then unfortunately it can get complicated to resolve... :cry:

Thanks Huge Leak (sorry, I mean Hugh Jaleak!).

I am hoping that the cyclinder stat was just wired by a numpty and is therefore shutting off the whole boiler when the cylinder is full, rather than just the hot water valve. Failing that, sounds as though it could eb the microswitch that is causing the incorrect switching.

Any further thoughts on this issue or do others agree that it is likely to be motorised valves/microswitch problem or just terrible wiring from the installer of the cylinder stat?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back