Hail - awful damage from weekend storm... Any advice on how to help recovery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

It's the first year of gardening for me (after a long hiatus). I've got lots of different berries in, some fruit trees, rhubarb, courgettes, sprouting broccoli, various beans. And lots of different herbs.

On Saturday we were hit by a major hailstorm. Stones the size of 10 pence pieces came down so hard that they were hitting the ground and bouncing back up 6 foot+.

I'm sure the cold didn't do my plants any favours. But much worse was the amount of shredding and snapage the plants and leaves have suffered. It was gutting to see a few months of hard work and £200-£300+ obliterated in 20 minutes.

Anyhow, enough of the sob story! I wondered if anyone has any advice as to how I can help my fruit and veg recover. Will any particular plant food/treatment/fertiliser be the most effective? Should I remove shredded leaves or just those that have snapped? Any other advice or words of wisdom?

Would really appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Frustrating isn't it? Bloomin British weather!
Yeah, there's not a lot you can do other than tidy up. Remove anything that's damaged beyond repair is a good move as slugs and snails will be attracted to rotting vegetation and it also provides them something to hide under, little buggers. And a feed is always good for a plant. As for type, you could look up what's good for each type of plant you've put in or just get a good general all-round feed. I just use a general feed myself for the allotment and garden.
I am sure most will bounce back, plants are strong ol' fellows :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back