Halogen switch wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced lights in a bedroom with halogens- the transformer has twin core & earth. What wire connects the switch to the mains, and where do all the wires go- the switch has L1 L2 Com.

Sponsored Links
are you changing the switch? if not why are you asking about it?

and what are "all the wires?"

try looking in the for refernce section

I am changing the switch, hence the question. This is not in the reference section, or I wouldn't have bothered asking. The question remains: which of the 2 core & earth wires from the transformer (black, red, earth) attach to which terminal in the switch, and should this be connected into the junction box with a 3 core & earth? if so, which terminals do these attach to? I hope this is clearer.

Sponsored Links
i shall atempt to clarify, but it is in the for refefence section, where the pendant lamp is that is where your transformer is connected

your switch should have 3 cores, you connect it to C & L1 (the 3rd core is earth and should connect to the back box, and to the switch earth terminal if it is a metal switch)

so the transformer is not connected directly to the switch

where your existing light was you should fit a junction box in place of the ceiling rose and connect the transformer to the neutral and switched live. (the switched live is from the switch)
I assume there are 3 cables in the ceiling?

the out put side of you transformer connects to the lamps, if more than one lamp they should all be connected in paralell, again this is in the for refernce section

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back